Trogir-historic jewel of Dalmatia

Trogir (Greek: Tragurion, Latin: Tragurium, Italian: Traù), is a city in Croatia that administratively belongs to the Split-Dalmatia County, located 25 km west of Split at the northwestern end of the Kaštela Bay.

The most important cultural monument is the Trogir Cathedral, whose portal of the west door was made by master Radovan, but don't miss historical city core, with about 10 churches and numerous buildings from the 13th century like the city gate (17th century) and city walls (15th century), the Fortress Kamerlengo (15th century), the Duke's Palace (13th century), the big and small palaces Cipiko from the 15th century and the city loggia from 15th century.

The historic center of Trogir is located on the shores of Kaštela Bay, on the island of Trogir between Čiovo and the mainland, connected by a stone bridge to the mainland. Archaeological excavations show that man lived on the island of Trogir in distant prehistory.

In the 3rd century BC, Tragurion was founded by Greek colonists from the island of Vis, and it developed into a major port until the Roman period. The name comes from the Greek "tragos" (male goat). The name might also derive from the Illyrian word "Tregur" (Three Stones). The sudden prosperity of Salona deprived Trogir of its importance. During the migration of Croats the citizens of the destroyed Salona escaped to Trogir. Initially the Roman Tragurium was one of the Dalmatian City-States. From the 9th century on, Trogir paid tribute to Croatian rulers and to the Byzantine empire. The diocese of Trogir was established in the 11th century and in 1107 it was chartered by the king of Hungary, Croatia and Dalmatia Coloman, gaining thus its autonomy as a town.

In the year 1000 the Republic of Venice received submission from the Tragurium inhabitants and the city started since then to have commerce with the Italian peninsula enjoying cultural and economic improvements.

In 1123 Trogir was conquered and almost completely demolished by the Saracens. However, Trogir recovered in a short period to experience powerful economic prosperity in the 12th and the 13th centuries, with some autonomy under Venetian leadership. In 1242 King Béla IV of Hungary found refuge there as he fled the Mongols. In the 13th and the 14th centuries, members of the Šubić family were most frequently elected dukes by the citizens of Trogir; Mladen III (1348), according to the inscription on the sepulchral slab in the Cathedral of Trogir called "the shield of the Croats", was one of the most prominent Šubićs. In Dalmatian, the city was known as Tragur.

After the War of Chioggia between Genoa and Venice, on 14 March 1381 Chioggia concluded an alliance with Zadar and Trogir against Venice, and finally Chioggia became better protected by Venice in 1412, because the newly (21 July 1412) conquered Šibenik, called Sebenico by the Venetian Republic, became the seat of the main customs office and the seat of the salt consumers office with a monopoly on the salt trade in Chioggia and on the whole Adriatic Sea.

In 1420 the period of a long-term Venetian rule began and lasted nearly four centuries, when Trau (as the city was called by the Venetians) was one of the best cities in the Balkans with a rich economy and plenty of Renaissance works of art and architecture. In about 1650, a manuscript of the ancient Roman author Petronius' Satyricon was discovered in Trogir containing the 'Cena Trimalchionis' ('Dinner of Trimalchio') the longest surviving portion of the Satyricon, a major discovery for Roman literature. On the fall of Venice in 1797, Trogir became a part of the Habsburg Empire, which ruled over the city until 1918, with the exception of Napoleon Bonaparte's French rule from 1806 to 1814 (when the city was part of the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy and Illyrian Provinces ).

After World War I, Trogir, together with most parts of Dalmatia, became a part of the State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs and subsequently, the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. During this period Italian speakers, who until 1918 were the present in the city left for Italy. 1939 it become a part of Banovina of Croatia. During World War II, Trogir was annexed by Italy and was part of the Italian Governorate of Dalmatia from 1941- 1943. After short partisan rule it became part of Independent State of Croatia under German military supervision from 1943 - 44. Subsequently, Tito's Partisans liberated it in for second time 1944. After that it belonged to the second Yugoslavia, and since 1991 to Croatia.

Trogir has 2300 years of continuous urban tradition. Its culture was created under the influence of the ancient Greeks, and then the Romans, and Venetians. Trogir has a high concentration of palaces, churches, and towers, as well as a fortress on a small island, and in 1997 was inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List. "The orthogonal street plan of this island settlement dates back to the Hellenistic period and it was embellished by successive rulers with many fine public and domestic buildings and fortifications. Its beautiful Romanesque churches are complemented by the outstanding Renaissance and Baroque buildings from the Venetian period", says the UNESCO report.

Trogir is the best-preserved Romanesque-Gothic complex not only in the Adriatic, but in all of Central Europe. Trogir's medieval core, surrounded by walls, comprises a preserved castle and tower and a series of dwellings and palaces from the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods. Trogir's grandest building is the church of St. Lawrence, whose main west portal is a masterpiece by master Radovan, and the most significant work of the Romanesque-Gothic style in Croatia.

The beginnings of tourism date back to the 1930s, when tourists from Czechoslovakia and other Central European countries began to arrive. It is often visited by prominent world figures from culture and politics, such as George Bernard Shaw, and King Edward VIII of England accompanied by Wallis Simpson. Prominent Croatian and foreign painters often come to Trogir. The first tourist guide to the city's sights was published in 1936. After the Second World War, tourism revived, especially from the mid-1960s, when significant accommodation facilities began to be built. Due to the rapid expansion of nautical tourism, two modern marinas have been built in the Trogir area, with the possibility of accepting up to 500 boats. ACI marina Trogir is located on islan of Čiovo, right next to the shipyard, and opposite the city waterfront, which provides special benefits. The marina has the possibility of accommodating boats throughout the year, and repairs and maintenance of ships. ACI marina Trogir also has its own fleet of sailboats from 7 to 15 meters, which is rented throughout the year.

Reward yourself with a perfect vacation.

+385 95 211 1100

Malogorička ulica 42, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia